Saturday, July 14, 2012

Shaolin Drunken-Sword Gestures + Outlaw Star

Hey Everyone!

A few days ago, I was looking up different types of martial arts and fight sequences on YouTube. I came across this video on Shaolin training, and was amazed at some of the dynamic acrobatics and highly skilled practitioners in the video.



I didn't get to finish watching the whole thing, but I managed to go through and look at most of the fight scenes/ training sessions. It was around 1:19:55 (where a teenage boy performs Drunken Sword) that I decided I would do some gestures  of him fighting. Below are some of the drawings I did.




Each one took me roughly 5 min. to draw (if I really liked to pose/ if the pose was tricky, I spent a little more time on it). It turned out to be a lot of fun, and something that proved to be a fulfilling exercise. Plus it was funny watching the swordsman pretend to take a drink before continuing to fling his sword; despite the seriousness of it, I couldn't help but smile.

I'll see if I can post more sketches; I think I'll continue doing gestures like these, but of different martial arts. It's great seeing all the different styles and variations. 

Now the question is whether I can tear myself away from watching Outlaw Star in order to draw more. I mean, I'm already close to being half way from finishing it. Sure, I watched it as a little kid, but after finding out some of the episodes were on YouTube, I couldn't help but fall back and re-watch the series. And while the animation may not be as good as others, and the story not as tight as should be, it has some of the most (surprisingly) best lines in any anime I've ever seen. I mean, just listen to this speech--it was done just for the beginning of episode two!




Or how about the lines used in this Toonami advertisement. Not all the lines in the ad are from the show, but most of them are!



Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and finish watching the entire series, draw until I develop carpal-tunnel, and continue working my butt off in order to save some dough for future prospects.



Ciao for now!

1 comment:

  1. Nice gestures.. haha, I don't know what any of the anime stuff is, but i definitely empathize with that last gif, hah.

    ReplyDelete