Sunday, June 3, 2012

First Digital Painting + Composition Studies + New Job




Over the past few days I've been trying my best to learn more and more about digital painting (and painting in general). I had always been a bit hesitant to paint on the computer; I once took a comp. art/ graphic design class where I had to work digitally, but I was never taught how to paint on the computer. And whenever I tried teaching myself in the past, I tended to get frustrated with just having to find the buttons, locate the windows, etc.

However, ever since I came to Ringling, I've been introduced to so many resources that I never would have thought were out there. One of them was Ctrl+Paint. It's a great website with tons of tools and tutorials that were a dream come true for a beginners like me. In fact, I've already been through three sections of videos on the site. I then applied what I learned from the site to the painting above.

Now I haven't painted in quite some time, so I'll admit that I was a bit rusty when it came to simplifying values (value was my focus, as supposed to complete and true accuracy). But, using what I learned from Ctrl+Paint, I was shocked that I was able to produce something like this without getting overwhelmed and throwing in the towel. Don't get me wrong--it's not a tank or robot or a massive seaside cliff with beautiful waves crashing on the shore. But it is a bell pepper, and it is a start.




Besides learning how to digitally paint, I have also been researching movies, tv shows, comics, etc., and finding shots that have foreground, middleground, and background. I was surprised to find so many great shots; I've really began noticing the difference between scenes that are shot well and scenes that are shot terribly. However, I've only been concerned with the great ones. Above are three shots from three different movies, tv shows, comics (or M.T.C's, for short) that I love. The first one should be relatively easy; the second one, a little bit tougher; the third one is probably the hardest one. Bonus points if anyone can guess which episode (<~ hint) the third one is from. I'll reveal the answers in the next post.

Lastly, to end this post, I have recently acquired a summer job! I'm now a sales floor team member/ cashier at Target. It's a real eye-opener; I've never had a job where I was working for a well-oiled, efficient company before. It's a bit intimidating and tricky, but it's really nice to be able to analyze what makes a company work, and what doesn't. Plus, it's makes me appreciate the fact I'm able to go to art school and do something that I truly love rather than doing something where I wouldn't find the same amount of fulfillment. And the best part is, I'm making money that I can put towards a (possible) internship and some fabulous art books/supplies.

Well, until next time, I hope you guys are having a fantastic summer. Ciao for now.

NOTE: The green pepper photo does NOT belong to me. Here is the link address to the photo. http://www.clker.com/clipart-72491.html




No comments:

Post a Comment